Ruralite Writing and Photography Guidelines
Ruralite magazine is a monthly family-oriented, general-interest publication used by 47 rural electric cooperatives and PUDs in seven Western states to communicate with their members. It has a circulation of 325,000. Sample copies are available for a 9×12-inch SASE with $1.52 of postage affixed.
Ruralite readers are predominantly rural and small-town residents who are interested in stories about people and issues that affect their Northwest lifestyles. The cornerstone of Ruralite’s content is its colorful people features. Other mainstays include human interest and energy-related articles, as well as a limited number of Northwest travel, outdoor and unique history features. Ruralite rarely purchases stories about subjects outside of Ruralite Country, and it is not a market for poetry, short fiction or boilerplate features.
All freelance submissions must be preceded by a detailed query letter addressed to the Editor, which must be accompanied by a self-addressed, stamped envelope (SASE) for a reply. Queries also are accepted via email at gro.etilarurnull@csitruc. Acceptance or rejection is usually within one month. Lead time for seasonal articles is four months.
Payment ranges from $50 for a short, 100- to 200-word feature to $500 for a major, well-illustrated article. Stories and artwork are purchased as a package. Ruralite buys one-time publication rights, as well as the rights to put the stories and photos on Ruralite’s Web site, archive, news service for member co-ops, and for any and all promotional purposes for Ruralite. Payment is on acceptance.
Digital and color transparency (35mm slides) images are purchased for covers and inside use; we prefer to use digital images, whenever possible. Ruralite buys one-time publication rights, as well as the rights to put the covers/layouts on Ruralite’s Web site, archive, news service for member co-ops, and for any and all promotional purposes for Ruralite. Please include caption information for each photo. Payment for inside color is $25 to $100, depending on size and use. Payment for a cover photo is $250 to $350.
Seven Tips for Getting Published in Ruralite
- Request sample copies of the magazine. Include a 9×12-inch SASE with $1.52 postage affixed. Study the sample copies for content and style.
- Send cover letter and one-page story outline. Please do not call us with story ideas.
- Include details in your query. Whet our appetite with a sample lead for the proposed story. Then briefly outline where the story will go from there. Cite sources and photo possibilities.
- Tell us what makes your story special. For example, let’s say you want to write a story about a man who makes wooden toys. There are hundreds of people in the Northwest who make wooden toys. What makes this man or his toys unique?
- Pay attention to the details. Check facts, names, spelling and grammar for accuracy before submitting the finished story.
- Send a large selection of good-quality color photographs.
- If you are asked to rewrite, follow the directions and suggestions you are given.
Effective January 28, 2013