Skipping breakfast in an attempt to get a jump on the day could mean you are missing out on a string of health benefits, including an easy way to help manage body weight. Give your body the fuel it needs for a productive day with a nutritious breakfast. Studies show that kids who eat a wholesome breakfast have better concentration and problem solving skills in the classroom, and the same is true for performance in the workplace.
TIPS FOR A SMOOTH MORNING
- Place a laundry basket by the door; before bed have each person pack their next day items such as backpacks, sports bags, and briefcases and put it in them in the basket for an easy morning.
- Get the family in a good mood in the morning with a selection of uplifting family-friendly music.
- When planning your grocery shopping, include foods that are easy to handle and take with you.
- Bananas and apples are healthy and easy to take on the go.
- Yogurt and granola to mix together with some small disposable containers and spoons.
- Wholesome whole grain English muffins and peanut or almond butter for spread.
Berry Stuffed French Toast Sandwiches
Source: Courtesy: Eggland’s Best
- 8 slices whole grain bread
- 6 eggs
- 1½ cups 1% low-fat milk
- ¾ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Nonstick cooking spray
- ¾ cup part-skim milk ricotta cheese or blended cottage cheese
- 1½ tablespoons sugar
- 1 cup fresh blueberries, raspberries or sliced strawberries
- In a shallow bowl or pie plate, lightly whisk eggs and add milk, cinnamon and vanilla. Heat nonstick griddle over medium-low heat. Coat with nonstick cooking spray. Dip one slice of bread in the egg mixture until well coated on both sides while allowing excess to drip into the bowl.
- Place on the griddle and cook about one minute on each side or until golden brown and the egg has set. Transfer to a plate and keep warm until ready to serve. Repeat with remaining slices, coating the griddle with cooking spray as needed.
- In a small bowl, mix the ricotta cheese and sugar. To assemble the sandwiches, spread
- ¼ of the ricotta filling on a slice of French toast. Top with ¼ of the berries and add another slice of French toast. Slice each sandwich and enjoy.
Carrot Apple Breakfast Muffins
Source: Courtesy: Soyfoods Association of North America
- 2 cups carrots, grated
- 1½ cups apples, grated
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- ½ cup plain or vanilla soy yogurt
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1½ cups flour
- ¾ cup walnuts, chopped
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon each nutmeg, ½ teaspoon cinnamon, ginger, and salt
- ½ cup raisins
- Preheat oven to 400 F. Lightly oil a muffin pan. In a large bowl, mix carrots, apples, maple syrup, yogurt and oil. In a separate bowl, combine flour, walnuts, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, nutmeg, cinnamon, ginger and salt.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients until just combined. Then add in the raisins. Spoon batter into the muffin pan. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes until golden, or until a toothpick comes out clean.
On the Go Breakfast Smoothie
Source: Courtesy: Sharon Lippert
- 1/3 cup old fashioned rolled oats—cover with water and microwave for one minute
- 1 cup non-fat milk
- ¾ cup any frozen, canned or fresh fruit
- 1 scoop of protein powder
- ¼ cup of any nuts (optional)
- Place all ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth. Pour into a beverage container with a lid and take it to go.
Cowboy Breakfast Wraps with Spinach
Source: Courtesy: MealMakeoverMoms.com
- 1 6-ounce bag pre-washed baby spinach or 4 cups packed baby spinach
- 1 tablespoon olive oil or canola oil
- 5 large eggs, beaten
- ½ cup pre-shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- 4 8-inch flour tortillas
- ¼ to ½ cup mild salsa
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add spinach and stir occasionally until spinach wilts, usually 3 to 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Add eggs and cheese and cook, stirring frequently, until eggs are set, about 2 minutes.
- Stack tortillas on a microwave-safe plate, uncovered, and heat in microwave until warmed through, 30 to 45 seconds. Assemble wraps by placing a quarter of egg mixture on each tortilla. Top with 1 to 2 tablespoons of salsa, wrap burrito style, slice in half, and serve.
Avocado, Bacon and Egg Sandwich
Source: Courtesy: Avocados from Mexico
- 6 slices bacon, halved
- 4 large eggs
- 4 English whole wheat muffins, split horizontally
- 1 fully ripened avocado, halved, pitted and peeled
- ¼ teaspoon salt and pepper
- In large skillet over medium heat, cook bacon until crisp and move to paper towels to drain. Remove all but 1 tablespoon bacon drippings from pan. In a small bowl, whisk eggs with
- ¼ teaspoon each salt and pepper, pour into skillet; cook and stir until scrambled and almost firm.
- Meanwhile, toast the English muffins. In a small bowl, coarsely mash the avocado with a fork; add salt and pepper to taste. Spread avocado mash onto all English muffin pieces, dividing equally. Divide bacon and scrambled eggs onto English muffin bottoms; add tops. Serve warm.